» Labor and Birth Doula Services
Labor and Birth Doula Services
What is a Doula?
A doula offers continuous emotional, physical, and informational support throughout pregnancy and birth. A doula is not a medical practitioner. Doulas are trained in massage, breathing, and other comfort techniques to help with labor. Through touch, praise, reassurance and guidance, a doula works to keep the mother and partner relaxed and focused.
As defined by DONA International, a doula…
- recognizes childbirth as a key life experience that the mother will remember all her life
- understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- assists the woman and her partner in preparing for and carrying out their plans for the birth
- provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint
- stays by the side of the laboring woman throughout the labor
- helps the woman get the information she needs to make thoughtful choices, both before and during the labor
- facilitates communication between the laboring woman and the clinical care providers
- works to nurture and protect the woman’s memory of her birth experience.
Why should you have a doula?
- 25% shorter labors
- 45% fewer cesareans
- 40% fewer epidurals
- 30-50% decrease in the need for forceps, vacuum extraction, and pitocinKlaus et al. “The Doula Book”, Da Capo Lifelong Books; 3rd Edn , 2012
Learn more about our services here.
Schedule your FREE consultation today!
Baby delivered only seconds before