» Labor and Birth Doula Services
Labor and Birth Doula Services
What is a Doula?
A doula offers continuous emotional, physical, and informational support throughout pregnancy and birth. A doula is not a medical practitioner. Doulas are trained in massage, breathing, and other comfort techniques to help with labor. Through touch, praise, reassurance and guidance, a doula works to keep the mother and partner relaxed and focused.
As defined by DONA International, a doula…
- recognizes childbirth as a key life experience that the mother will remember all her life
- understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- assists the woman and her partner in preparing for and carrying out their plans for the birth
- provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint
- stays by the side of the laboring woman throughout the labor
- helps the woman get the information she needs to make thoughtful choices, both before and during the labor
- facilitates communication between the laboring woman and the clinical care providers
- works to nurture and protect the woman’s memory of her birth experience.
Why should you have a doula?
- 25% shorter labors
- 45% fewer cesareans
- 40% fewer epidurals
- 30-50% decrease in the need for forceps, vacuum extraction, and pitocin
- Klaus et al. “The Doula Book”, Da Capo Lifelong Books; 3rd Edn , 2012
Bethany offers Labor and Birth Doula services in Longmont, Boulder, Loveland and the surrounding areas. Learn more about our services here.
Schedule your FREE consultation today!
Baby delivered only seconds before